A look back at the historical roots of Crompton House School
Founded in 1926, Crompton House Church of England School opened its doors to the first 25 pupils on 1st October 1926.
The original school buildings, which now mainly house the administrative offices of the school, were once the former home of the Crompton Family, given as a gift by Mrs Anne Ormerod and Miss Mary Crompton to the Church Commissioners for the establishment of a Higher Grade Church School following the government’s decision to establish separate schools for students aged 11 and above.
Situated in a pleasant residential area in the Pennine foothills near the border between the Metropolitan Boroughs of Oldham and Rochdale. with stunning views over the Pennine hills Crompton House School is a Church of England 11-18 co-educational comprehensive school with academy status.
We have approximately 1370 pupils including a Sixth Form. We do not have a sponsor but have maintained our strong relationship with the Church of England Diocese of Manchester.
In recent years the school has grown considerably in numbers from 706 in 1985 to its present position and every year there is considerable over-subscription for the places available. The school has a large catchment area attracting pupils from outside the Oldham Metropolitan Borough from Rochdale, Middleton, Alkrington, Bamford, Littleborough and Saddleworth.
The image below shows the Architect’s plans for extending the newly donated building, first extension of many to come.
A short video created by the Year 7 History Club.
Miss Catherine Cocker of Newbank Heyside (daughter of Catherine Crompton) died leaving the Crompton Estate to her sister Mrs Anne Ormerod and her cousin Miss Mary Crompton. They offered the house and £100 per year trust fund to pay for the up-keep of the school. The trust fund is maintained to this day by the School Trustees.
Our School emblem and logo originate from the lions found on the Crompton Family Coat of Arms. The coat of Arms can still be seen in the entrance way to the main house. The logo is worn by all with pride and is detailed on the blazer pockets of all students.
Welcome to the School
Visitors to the School will note the pineapples that adorn the gate posts as a sign that all are welcome inside. This tradition dates back hundreds of years to the Caribbean Islands where travellers knew there would be a welcome in a village if they saw pineapples at the entrance.
The school’s first speech day was held in the Pavillion Cinema in Rochdale in 1960. A tradition continued today with an annual speech night now held within the much extended school building to commemorate and celebrate the success of the sixth form students who return to the school to collect their certificates.
The school has an enviable reputation for academic success and has established an excellent record of examination results well above the National Averages. We have been consistently ranked in the top 75 State schools at KS3, KS4 and KS5. Most of our Sixth Formers go on to University, including Oxbridge, to follow degree courses.
In January 2005 the school became a specialist Arts School in recognition of its outstanding achievements in Music, Drama and Art. Crompton House is an Affiliated Woodard School and our pupils and staff join in events such as Master Classes at Oxford University and Senior Prefects training weekends. In partnership with the Metropolitan University of Manchester and the University of Huddersfield the school is a centre for Teacher Training. Around 100 trainees work alongside our staff and pupils each year.
Our school and everything we do is underpinned by our values of:
Loving God Caring for each other Achieving Excellence
Every member of our school family is valued; pupils, parents and staff are at the heart of all our endeavours. Crompton House School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.